"Smoke and wind and fire are all things you can feel but can't touch. Memories and dreams are like that too. They're what this world is made up of. There's really only a very short time that we get hair and teeth and put on red cloth and have bones and skin and look out eyes. Not for long. Some folks longer than others. If you're lucky, you'll get to be the one who tells the story: how the eyes have seen, the hair has blown, the caress the skin has felt, how the bones have ached.
"What the human heart is like, " he said.
"How the devil called and we did not answer.
"How we answered."

from The Man Who Fell In Love With The Moon

Friday, May 25, 2012

A Stellar's Jay feather

I found a Stellar's Jay feather yesterday down in an alley by my house.  Most of my immediates think of them as bullies or nuisances, and they might be.  And they, in turn, might think the same of us.  But I find them beautiful.  So when I found this little feather with light blue coloration on one side of the quill and cream on the other, I was delighted.  I placed it carefully in a little edition of Leaves of Grass that I sometimes carry, mostly as an affectation.  When I got home a little later, having remembered that it was tucked away in the book in my jacket, I went to retrieve it.  But it was gone.  Every once in a while I get the notion to look again.  Scour the pockets, flip through the book like a deck of cards.  But I don't.  I just smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment